Another great recipe from the BBC, courgette, potato & cheddar cheese soup. I made 6 litres of it using the following recipe.
- 500g potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1kg courgettes, roughly chopped
- bunch spring onion, sliced - save 1 for serving, if eating straight away
- 100g extra-mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative, grated, plus a little extra to serve
- good grating fresh nutmeg, plus extra to serve
- Put the potatoes in a large pan with just enough water to cover them and crumble in the stock cubes. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook for 5 mins. Add the courgettes, put the lid back on and cook for 5 mins more. Throw in the spring onions, cover and cook for a final 5 mins.
- Take off the heat, then stir in the cheese and season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whizz to a thick soup, adding more hot water until you get the consistency you like. Serve scattered with extra grated cheddar, spring onions and nutmeg or pepper. Or cool and freeze in freezer bags or containers with good lids for up to 3 months.